Oulton Chapel, Manse
and Coach House
Oulton Chapel is a Grade II* listed non-conformist chapel built between 1728-31. It is hidden away in the quiet lanes of the north Norfolk countryside, approximately 4 miles from Aylsham. Also on the site is the Manse and Coach House and Oulton Burial Ground.
The red brick chapel has a double shaped gable at each end in the Flemish style, fashionable in the late 17th century. Inside, the ground floor seating and pulpit belong to a nineteenth century re-furnishing, while the original box pews survive in the upper gallery. Behind the pulpit is the original octagonal sounding board and back board from an earlier pulpit.
The Chapel is available for hire for meetings, weddings and other small events, and for funeral services.
The chapel is open from 2-4pm on the second Sunday of the month from April to October, thanks to the Friends of Oulton Chapel.
The Manse was built in 1784 to accommodate the minister for the adjacent chapel, and is listed grade II.
It is now a private residential home. Please respect the privacy of the residents when visiting the chapel.
The Coach House
The coach house and stables, which probably housed the pony and trap used by the Minister, have been repaired and contains not only the original stalls for the horses, but also the remains of an earth closet (privy) inside.
Today it is used as a workshop.
The Chapel became disused in the 1960s and its condition deteriorated. Limited emergency repairs were carried out in 1984 with support from the Norfolk Churches Trust and Broadland District Council. In 1988 Norfolk County Council drew up a detailed schedule of repairs. Following this, the Trust purchased the Chapel and surrounding land from the owners, the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches Ltd.
Repairs to the Chapel were completed in 1991 with grants from English Heritage and Broadland District Council. These included the conversion of the rear vestry into a small meeting room with a fully equipped kitchen, and toilets.
The Manse was acquired by the Trust in 1990 at the same time as the chapel, with an attached long-term tenancy agreement. Initial repairs were carried out for the tenants at that time, including provision of bathroom facilities.
More extensive repairs to the building were caried out during 2001/2002. This included repairs to all the timber sash windows, repairs to brickwork, and redecorating with traditional lime washes and linseed oil paint. The house is let to tenants who participate in the day to day care of the adjacent chapel.
Before and after photos of the Chapel
Before and after photos of the Manse and Coach House
Hall Road, Oulton
Norfolk, NR11 6NU